Hive-D.1 is still full of hive beetles. All the traps were empty. But a frame of wax had (20) or (30) beetle larva that I could see and I killed about (20) additional beetles.
This time I cleaned the bottom board and removed the infected frame - I left it laying in the sun for the bees to clean up. I placed a foundationless frame in its place - giving the bees less wax to protect. Then I closed it up and said a prayer.
Next I took my (3) MMN and set them on top of Hive-D.1's lid. I then shook bees from Hive-B into the MMN.
There was a frame of drone brood in Hive-B, so I cut it out and, using rubber bands, put them into (3) MMN frames. Then I placed one of these in each of the (3) MMN. That worked great as the nurse bees were drawn to the brood.
Several sites say to put about a cup of bees per MMN but I think I got about twice that in each.
Then we opened Hive-D. They were ferocious! Luckily I have a new bee suit and so I was safe and sound - mostly. I did get stung once or twice on the chest - though had I had on my rope vest on, I wouldn't have gotten those stings.
Noah got his first sting of the season (actually 2) though his jeans. He took it well.
|The colored text indicates tomorrow's planned splits|
Well after removing the (3) cells, there were still about (8) left. So the plan is use them Wednesday to make splits if it doesn't rains - which is a good possibility. Best laid plans of mice and men and all those sorts of things.